People ask me all the time how to speed up their internet service. It’s not that hard, just follow this handy checklist:
- Make sure your computer is free of viruses and malware. Use Bleeping Computer‘s popular downloads page to get anti-virus and malware removal tools.
- Make sure you’re using an up-to-date router and WiFi adapter! WiFi technologies such as 802.11 a/b/g are outdated, make sure your router supports Wireless N technology at the least, and Wireless AC technology for the fastest possible experience.
- Remember that wired connections are almost always faster than wireless! The fastest wireless transmissions are ~450mbps while the fastest wired connection speed is 10gbps – over 20 times faster!
- Your Internet Service Provider matters! As a general rule of thumb, Fiber > Cable > 4G LTE > DSL > 3G > Satellite > Dial Up. Use the fastest internet service provider in your area (Sudden Link in Bossier City, Comcast Cable in Shreveport)
- Test your speed using Speed Test! First, run the test from your computer over the regular WiFi or wired network. Then run the test while your computer is plugged directly into your modem. If there is a large difference between the 2 scores it may be time to upgrade your networking hardware!
- “WiFi Range Extenders” are a waste of money. They simply do not work as advertised. Wired connections leading to multiple different wireless access points in a mesh network is the best way to provide WiFi to a large area. I prefer to use Ubiquiti Unifi Wireless Access points.
Of course, if you’re not comfortable making changes to your network, you should CALL US or EMAIL US and we will come to your home or office and get your network speeds as fast as possible, no worries, no hassle. Develop your communication, build your business, with Shreveport Fix IT!